Related Posts with Thumbnails
This blog chronicles my journey through the Hawaii County Master Gardener program and beyond...

Hot, Loud & Proud - I think???

>> Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Not having ever done a meme before, I wasn't sure what exactly to do... Sooooooooo, Noel of A Plant Fanatic in Hawaii let me know if I got it!

This "little" beauty was brought to my landscape by mother nature herself ! I have since propagated it to many areas of the landscape!  This purslane was hanging on our lava in a small soilless puka (hole).  So, I think PROUD it is! 
After a little research on the internet, I have found some HOT facts about purslane!
  • There are about 200 species of purslane: Portulaca
  • All parts of this plant are edible! - even Henry Thoreau boiled what he gathered around Walden Pond 
  • They are very high in omega-3 fatty acids
  • It is beneficial for urinary and digestive problems
  • Finally, to many it is just a weed!
And we all know that weeds are LOUD!  Their sheer numbers prove that!  I on the other hand will give this proud, hot and loud beauty a try in my favorite salad with just the right amount of oil and vinegar!!!

Below - The birthplace of my purslane
Below - In flower - great contrast to the black pahoehoe lava
Below - Purlane "pinched-back" to give dense foliage

7 comments:

Rosie March 31, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

I love this plant - its quite hard to source in the UK unless you grow it from seed - that is unless you want to buy it as a bonsai as one of the shrubbier varieties makes a great bonsai tree.




Pop over and see what grows in the wild - probably in your garden but takes alot of effort to get into flower for me on my post for the meme.

Ami March 31, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

Yes, it is hot and loud, and you should be proud! I also have three pots full of purslane in my garden. They just bloom the all year long. Very beautiful color!

BTW, I also did not know what to do when I told Noel I might join his Meme. Well, I finally figured out something. If you are interested, you can take a look what I posted :)

Meredith March 31, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

I love this plant, although I've always heard it referred to as portulaca. I don't like the double-flowered versions that are sold in the nurseries, but the classic single-flowered ones which get harder and harder to find every year. (Here it's grown as an annual.) My favorite part is the tiny little star among the stamens at the flower's heart.

It sounds so exotic and wonderful to me that Nature dropped this *wild* into a lava pocket on your property. Wow!

Ami March 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

BTW, forgot to mention that "edible" part is what I did not know. Hmm, maybe a purslane soup tomorrow?? LOL. Thanks for the info!

Floridagirl March 31, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

I think the memes are up to your interpretation, and getting everyone's different personality is what makes them fun to read! It would be boring if they were all the same. I put two hanging pots of purslane on the front porch of my very first house many, mnay years ago. The bees swarmed them all day long, and all guests were buzzed when they visited. Within a couple of years, we had more purslane in our lawn than grass. Too bad I didn't know that it was edible! ; )

Noel Morata March 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

aloha susan,

i posted something but it didn't show...i think i forgot the word below...purslane to me is magic, it conditions the soil, prevents weeds, can be eaten in every part and is use as a cure in so many ailments around the world and the fowers are just amazing!

great post, and thanks for sharing

Ever Green Tree March 31, 2010 at 11:47 PM  

Hi Susan,

Loved your shocking Pink Purslane! Boy, they sure are hot and apt for the Meme. Thx for sharing valuable insights on the plant as well. Cheers Radhika @ EGT

Reserved for Future Text

Reserved for future text

Pages

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP