>> Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Not having ever done a meme before, I wasn't sure what exactly to do... Sooooooooo, Noel of A Plant Fanatic in Hawaii let me know if I got it!
This "little" beauty was brought to my landscape by mother nature herself ! I have since propagated it to many areas of the landscape! This purslane was hanging on our lava in a small soilless puka (hole). So, I think PROUD it is!
After a little research on the internet, I have found some HOT facts about purslane!
- There are about 200 species of purslane: Portulaca
- All parts of this plant are edible! - even Henry Thoreau boiled what he gathered around Walden Pond
- They are very high in omega-3 fatty acids
- It is beneficial for urinary and digestive problems
- Finally, to many it is just a weed!
And we all know that weeds are LOUD! Their sheer numbers prove that! I on the other hand will give this proud, hot and loud beauty a try in my favorite salad with just the right amount of oil and vinegar!!!
Below - The birthplace of my purslane
Below - In flower - great contrast to the black pahoehoe lava
Below - Purlane "pinched-back" to give dense foliage