Related Posts with Thumbnails
This blog chronicles my journey through the Hawaii County Master Gardener program and beyond...

Citrus from Seed???

>> Thursday, August 12, 2010

I have been waiting for local citrus trees to bud (timing that activity is not easy without help from the tree owners!) so that I can acquire some scions to graft a citrus tree that I thought was already grafted!  It has never flowered and has been in the ground or a pot for at  least 2 1/2 years. Anyhow, I ran across this post talking about getting citrus fruit trees from seed.  Hmmmmm, I thought it could not be done. And perhaps my tree proves that right.  

So what do I do with my tree?  
  1. Assume it is from seed, leave it alone because one day the fruit will come?!
  2. Assume it is from seed, won't fruit and just admire it's beauty?!
  3. Assume it is from seed and graft lemon and lime scions?!
I think I favor #3, but my problem is finding the lemon and lime scions to graft!!!If you have additional information let me know!!!

3 comments:

Jane August 12, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

Plant it Hawaii has been very helpful with my citrus tree questions and their mailing address is in Curtistown (I'm not sure where there farm is though). http://plantithawaii.com/

Rohrerbot August 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

I think I'd wait....sometimes they don't always fruit right away and see what happens:) It looks like a beautiful tree so far.

Julie August 12, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

The only citrus i've grown from seed is a little Kaffir lime tree. It's only about 18 months old and it hasn't flowered yet. No worries, though, since it's all about the leaves. Sure is a thorny little thing, that article is right!

Reserved for Future Text

Reserved for future text

Pages

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP